1) First and foremost, Happy Halloween to everyone!
2) This is my first proper adult Halloween – I came home from work, turned on my porch light, and got ready to hand out candy without being jealous that I couldn’t participate in gathering goodies by running door-to-door in full regalia.
3) This is one of the few nights of the year I wish I only grew to be 5′ tall as an adult, so I could put on a costume and participate with no one being the wiser.
4) Once all of the candy is gone (or I feel like there is an acceptable amount left over for me), I’ll be wrapping up the Artson baby blanket so it can be ready to block over the weekend. About 30 yards of knitting stand in the way – why do these last few stitches always take F.O.R.E.V.E.R.?
5) Outside of the typical Thursday night television line-up, Practical Magic will be viewed tonight in order to mark Halloween properly.
6) Practical Magic is easily the most perfect movie ever made – the Owens sisters are fabulously played by Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. If you haven’t seen it, you’re missing out.
7) If you haven’t read the book by Alice Hoffman, you’re also missing out – it’s one of the few instances where I’ve loved both the author’s and the screenplay writer’s point of view, embracing (rather and abhorring) the discrepancies that usually happen when novels are translated to the big screen.
8) The house featured in the film was just a shell built for the movie and torn down promptly when filming wrapped; that makes me sad. You can purchase the blueprints for it online – to my knowledge, no one has built a replica of the home. If I can pull this off during my lifetime, I could die happily (I could possibly settle for recreating the kitchen and dinning room).
9) The only thing getting in the way of #8 is the desire to spend my retirement in my own yarn shop.
10. Vogue Knitting Live! starts tomorrow. One of my favorite nights of the year immediately followed by one of my favorite weekends? If only life was consistently so perfectly magical.